Friday, February 18, 2022

Scamalot

They're at it again, and it's been so long on some of these that old ones are resurfacing in hopes of new suckers. 

Some are boring, the kind of robocalls that ring twice and drop the call, or hang up in 3 seconds after you answer. I figure most of those are just checking to see if the random set of numbers their software generated are legit phone numbers. But if that is the case, at least one has a flat-line learning curve. I recognize the number now, since it's my own area code and the same set of four end numbers. The middle? Who cares?

Some are simply irritating, like the ones who claim to be raising funds for some police something-or-other. The first time that one came through, I chatted politely for about a minute, then idly asked where he was calling from. He gave me a location that I was supposed to recognize as local - except I know the area code there and his wasn't it. I looked it up later and he was calling from Las Vegas. Nice try. The next time that one came through, again asking me to support the local police, I replied simply that I already do and hung up. It's true, I do support our local "posse" which is a volunteer organization that does things like check on empty homes while the owners are gone, and put their own lockboxes near a door with the homeowner's key inside if they need to get in, say, for a fire, a trapped dog, somebody too hurt or ill to come to the door, or whatever. They don't get much from me each year, but I don't have a lot to donate.  We get along just fine. But those "police" guys persist in calling, as often as 4 times a week. I just flip my phone open and closed and cut it off.

Steve got a goodie early this week, an email alleging to be from Amazon. Somebody had supposedly been tapping his account there, and he needed to verify he was the real Steve by giving all kinds of information including his mother's maiden name, etc., etc., etc. As soon as he informed me, I called Rich in to assist, since I can't do anything on his computer and Rich can. We all agreed this was "phishing", and Steve was ready to dump the email. But I've gotten these before, and any legitimate company wants to get a copy forwarded to their special department dealing with that crap so they can halt it. Maybe even prosecute the phishers. It took half an hour in all, but they didn't get any info from Steve that they shouldn't have.

An oldie came in my email earlier this week. This one came in the guise of a Japanese elderly woman who had a lot of money to invest in a good business. "She" addressed me as "Dear." I typed back something to the effect I couldn't believe that old scam was still around and people were still falling for it. I didn't dignify it with a name since my email address doesn't actually give mine. Why give them any extra ammunition?

Even the club isn't immune. There are all the usual junk mail solicitations from people looking to place employees or offer services. If we were an actual business and looking for employees or insurance or CPA services or whatever, these might not go straight into the recycle pile. As it is, the main organization covering the rec centers in Sun City might actually hire people or secure insurance policies. We don't. We're strictly a club, all volunteers as well as participants, and any funds go straight into supporting the club with repairs, new equipment, etc. Any truly professional help we need starts with a call to the head organization to see if they have staff which either does that or can recommend somebody. End of that story.

Today I popped my head in for a minute, and checked the emails on the club computer. There was a dilly sitting there. I've seen it before in different guises. They claim to be  (wheel out the pity party balloons, folks) disabled and working on behalf of somebody else who's also disabled. That person needs a wedding ring at a discount. No budget, doncha know. Would we get back to them with what's available in gold and diamonds and list our prices? And "lest they forget" the reason they are contacting us is they've heard about us from a good business review.  Oh, and any "homemade" items would be "worthy" of their consideration.

Uhh, sure, a business review. Where, I wonder? I figure they're searching for information on who they might scam or even rob. I'm not biting. I just sent a brief note back that we are a hobby club, we teach our members from scratch, and nobody here is skilled enough to work in either gold or any gemstones. Again, I don't even bother to give a name with my reply.

I'm betting with myself (fits my budget, win or lose) that we'll hear from these folks again. Or some other cons who want to see if they can get better results from it.

No comments: