Saturday, March 13, 2021

Phun With Fotos

Oy! It's a long haul. i need to transfer 3333 photos from my old computer to my "new" one. They do not communicate. despite both being Macs. The "Photo Stick 2.0" is too advanced for the old tech of the old computer. Forgetting that I had some old barely used thumb drives with lots of capacity kicking around somewhere, I went and ordered a new 16 gig one. Seemed like a plan, right?

First though, I wanted to back up the photos on the new computer. That's why I got the Photo Stick 2.0 for Mac. It doesn't like me. Therefore, understandably, I don't like it very much either. I plugged it in, followed the directions to the point where I actually had a window with a big green "GO" in it to click on, and clicked on it. Logical, right?

It claimed to be working, a counter claiming it had searched about 378 files and found an ever increasing number of photos to copy. This thing comes with its own programming build in, so it's supposed to be one click and let 'er rip. By bedtime the first night I needed to use the computer, and had to exit from the Photo Stick. There's a button to click for that, so it must have been OK, right? Next morning I started it up earlier, considering how long the previous day's session took. 

Press "Go", and the little "I'm working" bar resumed sliding back and forth, and numbers popped up of how many files, how many megs, then gigs, then suddenly everything reset to zero. Weird, right? I watched the numbers start to climb again, and by bedtime it had found more files than the day before, and was reassuring me there was plenty of space left, before suddenly killing my computer. Luckily it was only shut down. Next morning it opened up right away and everything was hunky dory, except....

My personal preferences had reset. I'd worked hard to click on the right things in the magic order that would result in my start-up screen being a lovely blue galaxy, and after that my wallpaper also became my screen saver, at one minute intervals randomly covering the screen with selections from my photo library. It's mostly back in place, but it's added another screen saver on top of that one if I ignore the screen for a while. I'm not thrilled, and still debate whether I should go back in and try another go at the magic needed. I could totally screw it up.

So. Now back to those thumb drives. Photo Stick can just sit until their tech support and my patience can intersect to see if it's actually usable. My new starting point was taking the largest capacity of the other thumb drives and start the one-by-one click and drag routine. Just a couple days work. Alaska first, then, my top priority, long awaited. I still have the photos - all of the ones from Alaska trip in '07 from both my and Jordan's cameras. After all that work, they can be read on that first thumb drive - but only when it's in a port in the old computer. The new one can't read/find them. I decided that drive could sit for a while too. I wanted to be sure I had it right before transferring those hundreds of photos again.

Two down....

Two thumb drives left to go. Both had been lightly used, successfully, and neither had pictures which weren't already on one or the other laptop.  After checking to confirm that, what was on each was deleted.

I put one in and started clicking and dragging photos starting after the trip. (Alaska pics were the first ones on the MacBook, so you know how old it is.) I'd load up a hundred or so photos, then switch the drive to the new computer. Perfect transfer! Since there were two "spare" drives, I decided one would be for all my photos past that point until they were all transferred. The other drive would be all the Alaska pictures, along with everything I noted along the way while loading up the other drive that were of Jordan. The plan is to give that drive to her after I put all the Alaska pics into my new computer, letting her keep it for all those memories. I'll also add - I think there's room - all the photos of her, as well as her daughter, off the new computer as well.

I'm on day three now. Or is it five if we count the Photo Stick? My old laptop needs to rest, cool down and recharge, about a 3 hour process each time, between the two hours or so it can tolerate photo transfers. This means 3 sessions a day.  I've managed to clear the old laptop just to all the keepers from 2007 to early 2013. It covers Alaska to a family wedding and everything between. At least I'd gotten the pics winnowed down from 15,500 to 3,333, along with editing the life into them. I hadn't the 16 megapixel camera yet, so cropping wasn't the option is is today, except for bad margins and such. Once all are on the new computer, I can compare many side by side, such as multiple years and seasons of Crex, or AZ, or the garden, and do more culling. There will still be over 5,000 once done with the transfer.

It's not just the hardware that needs a break periodically. I do too. I work less than optimally under the load of frustration this last week has brought. Besides the photos, Rich is on his 3rd day in the hospital. And CRANKY!! Today has been a repeat of yesterday in not getting fed, only I'm not allowed to bring him any food this time. His phone charger, sure, no problem. But the powers that be are still deciding and  not communicating their plans for him. The planned procedure for this morning was cancelled. Lest you imagine that means food, I've already mentioned he was still NPO. Today is part waiting to see if the stone passes, despite them deciding on not breaking it up with ultrasound, and part deciding if they really want to cut into his side to put in a drain, hoping the stone might decide to exit that way. Saturday means that the few people there who might do any kind of procedure are always elsewhere helping somebody else with different procedures, and never around to be asked the simple question of  ... well, by now I've forgotten just which simple question they need to answer. I just know it leads to whether Rich can get food or not for yet another day. 

I did finally get him to call a nurse to get some painkiller. At least that they were prompt with. This time it was Rich who needed to decide that all that moaning and rolling back in forth on his bed really meant that he should ask for something. It took effect almost immediately, giving me a chance to head home for another session of phun with fotos.

No comments: