Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Best Worst Joke Of The Week

I met her at the pool this afternoon. Yes, I'm back pool walking, and enjoying it again because nearly all of us there have had our vaccinations and still are wearing masks - outdoors. We can actually talk to each other again. This joke is how Cathy introduced herself:

Why do mermaids wear seashells? They've outgrown their B shells!

We got to talking. She's down here from Alaska, always a favorite topic of mine. We also discussed funerals and weddings, or not having weddings, and being immersed in a Catholic family she has plenty to say about priests. Mostly good. The not-so-good is about all the politics in the Church and how it can interfere with actually tending to their flocks, though well balanced in her experience with men who really live their faith. In the process of all those wide ranging topics, she learned about our covid wedding, with our first anniversary coming up Thursday. Her covid wedding story concerns a large wedding in Alaska where dozens of guests caught the virus and way too many died. Our 4-person outdoor event garnered her approval.

Before I left, she asked if she could stop by later this evening to drop off some Alaskan halibut for us as a first anniversary present. I had been talking about my most memorable meal being outdoor grilled salmon at Taku Glacier Lodge, and Steve's love of fishing, and it morphed into that. I invited her to follow me into the locker room so I could give her my phone number before I had to leave.

I had wondered if she would be one of those people who follow through with such gestures, but I'd said I'd be home by 7:00, and a very few minutes after that she called and was given directions. She didn't turn up with halibut, however. Instead she brought a package of Alaska salmon they'd caught themselves and had professionally sealed and frozen! Salmon! From Alaska! Oh-h-h-h-h-h! 

I think I have a new friend.

No comments: