Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Deeper Dive 2: Rich's + My Results

It's a learning curve, alright? First, I had to make a phone call to CRI in order to be able to pull up Rich's results. I couldn't figure out how to access his, ordered at the same time, though mine were simple. Turned out all I had to do was erase a bunch of stuff at the end of the URL for my results and go back and replace the number 1 (for my kit) with a number 2, and his popped up. I quickly bookmarked that spot so we could access that quickly again.

Part of the reason this took so long was my phone wasn't reliably working. After a lengthy call to T-Mobile - using Rich's cell - and after they checked the satellite, offered several times to let me verify myself by them texting a 6-digit number to a phone which wasn't working, in their hopes of my repeating it back to them, then passing me up to someone more knowledgeable who also didn't get the  part where my phone wouldn't receive texts, finally settling on email verification, it was discovered that 1: my sim card was ancient so they sent me a new one FREE!!! and 2: the local tower was undergoing some work for the last few days - coincidentally the same days my phone wasn't working. For some reason the first "helper" couldn't access that information. We got my phone back in order the next day. 

Whew!

The other part was figuring out - CRI, not me - that kit 2 was just a URL cut/paste away.

Rich's results were a tad different than mine, and ultimately just the same. First, there is no Native (North) American in his father's line. So it's verified that's another of Paul Sr's wild stories. However, there are a whole lot of ancestors who popped their DNA in the family lines over the centuries. Sure, we're both 90%+ European, whether it's Northern, Northwestern, British Isles, Iberian or Tuscany Italian. In the timeline, Rich popped up with a few new ones, Sri Lankan Tamil, Vietnamese and Bengali. However, I finally explored further in the advanced results and found out that we both have ever-so-slightly different percentages - more like tenth-of-a percentages, in nearly all the same origins. They just show up in different generations back, or not at all in the timelines. For some reason, they could only trace Rich back 35 generations, as opposed to my 75. Not sure how important that is, as nothing popped up in my timeline that far back which wasn't already there much more recently.

Here they are, by categories, each category in order of highest contribution, each piece within also ranked highest to lowest, my percentages first: 

90.3 / 90.4% European - Northern, Northwestern, British Isles, Iberian, Tuscany Italian

4.3 / 4.5% AdMixed American:  Peruvian, Columbian, Puerto Rican, Mexican

3.8 / 3.4% South Asian: Sri Lankan Tamil, Punjabi, Bengali, Gujarati Indian

Now the tiniest of differences show up: 

1.3 / 1.3% East Asian: Japanese, Southern Han Chinese, Chinese Dai, Kinh Vietnamese, with Rich adding Northern Han Chinese

0.3 / 0.3% African: Esan in Nigeria for both, African American added for me. (Hey, does the one drop rule still count with those crazy white supremicists? And have they tried this level of genetic testing? Whooo-eee, the surprises they could have in store! Maybe we'll all finally get around to defining ourselves as members of the human race, eh?)

 I still haven't decided whether the differences between Richard and myself or the similarities surprise me more.

The last new exploration was maternal and paternal haplo, those lines passing from mothers to daughters or fathers to sons. I had them test Richard's sample, knowing it would also provide my haplo results, along with giving the kids better understanding of theirs. (Hey brother Steve, get your test done to get the Maxson male line. CRI is advertising a Black Friday sale, hint hint.) The maternal mitochondrial line (H1) goes back to Kenya, group MT-eve. From there it traveled to Sudan, becoming L3, then Armenia becoming N, then Iran becoming R, then Saudi Arabia becoming RO, then South Turkey becoming HV, then the Near East (northern India) becoming H, finally ending up in Spain, becoming H1.

Rich's paternal haplo - coming through the Rosa line - started with an Adam (Y-Adam) in Cameroon. No major surprise, but the males traveled much more than the females did. From there, they went to Chad (A), Niger (A1), Lybia (A1b), Malawi (BT), Ethiopia/Sudan (CT), Iraq (CF), India (F), Pakistan (K), SE Asia (K2), Southern China (NO),  East China (P and P1), Kazakhstan (R), Iran (R1), and finally Turkey (R1b).

Looking these over, neither line crosses the other, i.e., nobody has the same region of origin anywhere along their lines. We all met in Minnesota.

I wish there were some indication of when these travels happened, especially the jump from Turkey to here. Are all the ancestors with the modern origins from further spreading up into Europe? And how did the AdMixed American ancestors pop into the equations without leaving haplo traces? Did the earliest Italian ancestors arrive in the Roman Legions and tomcat around as the powerful do? Does the AdMix American come from Conquistadors intermingling and returning to Europe with offspring? Any of that Chinese follow Genghis Khan across to Europe? There was raping in all that pillaging, folks. Perhaps something more consensual as well.

I still need that time machine, folks!

No comments: