Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Keeping The Mind Off The Crap

Yeah, there's plenty of crap these days: politics, health issues, extended family and friends personal issues.... The list can be daunting. I decided to work on another list: Distractions.

1: TV - often mindless, mostly distracting, occasionally enlightening. Steve and I race to figure out who-done-it, provide character lines a second before they do (he's often right), guess "Wheel" and "Jep" answers.

2: Books: One needs to be in a good enough spot to pay proper attention to these, but there's no lack in this house, between Kindle and the library.

3: Mingle - I'm currently watching the clock so I can arrive in time at a new-to-me Thai restaurant to join my best friend. The jewelry club can help, as there's usually somebody there you can find something in common with, whether personal or project related.

4: Work on taxes. Yes, that's not on the problems list, just the procrastinate till April list, but it can be done earlier. Having done my own Schedule Cs most of my working life, the retired-status finances are a snap.

5: Try new jewelry patterns. Note this is distinct from mingling, as much of the actual work gets done at home. In addition, Steve got me an early anniversary present, a book on chain  link patterns. Chain link is brand new to me, and the book arrived just as I decided to head in this direction anyway. The first pattern was simple as I already knew the complicated bits of it and have made whole chains of just them. A second bonus is I just found some new design ideas for making wire earrings, and found I'm experienced enough now to look at a photo and figure how to make it for myself. Enough practice and each should be something worth claiming I've done. However, I need some new wire....

6: Plan summer vacation: We've sorted out from the wish list the general idea of where both the routes north and back will go, whom to see along the way, and which sights to spend time at. No 3-day marathon drives for us this year. The plan is to enjoy the trips while we still can, especially after last year when Steve couldn't travel by car. The decision was reluctantly made to forgo Alaska, choosing not to spend that amount of money, making up for it by seeing more of the lower 48. We each got that senior pass for national parks and monuments back when the cost was only $10, and it's time to use them more. So there's lots of internet research to do. Two parks up, three parks back. (So far.)

7: Organize the photo library. Digital, that is. Start by culling 5000+ photos down to 1400, then fight with the software program long enough to figure out its cropping, light balance, and color modifications. Make a mental note to keep fighting to figure out how to organize those into folders and albums. "Help" on the tool bar is useless for that, sending me to places that either do not exist or are maliciously hiding. At this point, the distraction possibilities of this cease and it becomes an addition to the crap list, requiring selection of another distraction.

8: Blog. Yes, always, always blog, either to vent or distract. Both are good. But right now, lunch is calling.

Bye.

(Oh hey, did you notice cooking and cleaning are not on the list? You do know me, right?)

No comments: