Friday, July 12, 2019

Watchman Device

Just got back from the cardiologist to verify whether my pacemaker was doing exactly what it should be. It is. Then the conversation changed to getting me off Warfarin.

There is a way. It's 94+ % successful, and it's permanent. It's an implanted device called a Watchman. In techno-speak, it's described as a left atrial appendage and closure device. In addition to its existence, I learned why A-fib can cause strokes from blood clots. Nobody ever really told me, beyond the fact that it can happen.

There is a pouch, known as LAA or left atrial appendage, in the muscle wall of the left atrium. It's shaped like an ear. Blood can pool in there and not get expelled properly during A-fib. That's where the possible clot forms, and it can exit once the heart is back doing its merry thing properly and lodge elsewhere. If the lung, it's a pulmonary embolism. If the brain, a stroke. Preventing it is helped by blood thinners, Warafrin being one. Blood thinners carry their own risks, bleeding from injury, even a brain bleed - the other kind of stroke.

With risks either way, an alternative has been developed, used in EU and China, now here with FDA approval. The Watchman is inserted via a tube through the groin and fed up into that pouch in the atrium. Once inside, it expands into a ball shape, and lodges in place. Overnight in the hospital, avoidance of pool and shower for a bit, then normal. Well, as normal as I ever am. Within a few weeks the body encases it, blocking the pouch from being able to pool blood which can clot. Once closure is confirmed, blood thinners can be discontinued.

For the curious, or those confuddled by my description, there are videos online. I got to see one before leaving the cardiologist's office. I'd never heard of this, and I'm guessing some of you will be new to it also.

Since Steve and I are still trying to get north before fall, and both need to be back in early October, any activity on this will be postponed till then. Warfarin is still my go-to for now. Even without this, I'm feeling 100%, energy wise, breathing wise, emotion wise. I'm good.

Now we finish fixing Steve.

No comments: