Sunday, October 21, 2018

Voted!

The decisions are made and the envelope is in the mailbox. Now it's the waiting. And hoping you all don't forget to take your turn. Turnout is vital this time. There has never been a more important election, at least in my lifetime. Possibly in the US's lifetime.

While I won't say whom I voted for, I'll share a little of my process. This year is one of those where it's straight party line, all the way. Those of you who know me, or even those who just regularly read this, can figure out which party that is. Back when I first started voting, there were a lot of ballots where that wasn't the case. A few from this party, several from the next, some independents.... Party wasn't the priority, not like today.

When that's not the guiding force, I have several other ways of choosing who's getting my vote. Perhaps there's a particular issue, especially in the minor local elections, where I look for matching values. That information is not always available. Heck, when I first ran for the city council, I had no real idea what the questions were, nevermind the answers. I'm amazed I got elected.

I don't decide by the barrage of ads, though I'm getting more informed on what the dog whistles are. Mostly, though, the DVR allows us to skip them. Our senate race must be costing an astronomical amount. Both candidates run opposing ads back-to-back in every commercial break on virtually every channel, even obscure networks. It's gotten so I can spot a frame in an ad as I flash through them all and know who the candidate is, despite not watching them. The brain must somehow piece them together anyway. Or maybe the thumb just gets so worn out pushing "skip forward" on the remote that I'm no longer as fast as I think I am. When those pictures no longer show, I know we're back into real programming. Gotta wonder who thinks those are still actually influencing anybody after this inundation. Other than refusing to watch any programming in live time.

I pay attention when one of those independent fact checkers offers information on somebody's position, particularly when candidates are shown to be - yes, I'll say it - liars. In nonpartisan races, all other things being equal, I'm likely to vote for a female candidate if one is running. We need more women's points of view. More need to be encouraged to run. If none get votes, why should any try?

Judges have always been tricky for me. I don't know any. Once I asked an attorney friend which ones on the ballot might be good or not. He approved of all incumbents. I'm not sure if that was helpful. Since I'm unaccustomed to any running opposed, it probably didn't matter. Besides, any judge with enough power to make a real difference is likely appointed by a high ranking politician. I don't get a direct say.

Arizona likes propositions on its ballots. Fortunately, the state also sends out pretty good information booklets covering the text of them, the consequences if they pass or don't, and a variety of opinion pieces per each one from both the proponents and opponents. It's good that we are retired, because that's a lot of reading to wade through. One was so detailed and lengthy that I was still confused as to what it was actually about. I called a friend who's politically savvy, and she spelled it out in a few words. It proposes to take funds from the already meager public schools budget to pay for vouchers to send students to private schools. I instantly knew what my vote was.

From those experiences and others, I have come to value networking to get facts and opinions on my ballot choices. Discussing issues in relation to my choices, making lists of who I do or don't want to choose, all prove helpful. As long, that is, as I consider the source. If I know the source holds opposing views to mine, I'll return the favor with an opposing vote to their choices. 

One thing I really appreciate about Arizona elections is how easy it is to have your ballot mailed to you. There's even a Permanent Early Voter status where you always get your ballot mailed out. No standing in long lines, which can be hours long here. And there's time (weeks) to ask questions and research people and propositions you know nothing about, instead of making split decisions during your minute and a half in the voting booth. It helps me make better choices.

I feel good about something else I've done in this election. After listening to the stories of voter suppression in many states, I've found a way to help in the fight for the right to vote. In particular, there's the situation in North Dakota where the rules have been changed since the primary as to what makes a legitimate voter ID. Having a P.O. box address disqualifies you.

Perhaps you already understand this issue, but if you don't, I'll give you the short tour. This is designed to drastically cut turnout in two ("blue") counties where the population is majority Native American. Historically, these reservations don't use street addresses.  The tribal members use PO boxes. The tribes say that is good enough, and historically it has been. Now, there is a very short window of time to 1: invent street addresses for all the members, and 2: produce voter IDs for all the members. People are willing to help, and one organization which is fundraising for political issues has organized the effort to raise the estimated $100,000 needed to complete the task.

Tired of being irate at all the voter suppression stories from around the country and not being in a position to do anything to help, I took advantage of the opportunity to act. They have my contribution too.

No comments: