Saturday, August 13, 2011

Nonsense

I'm just arriving home from one of our longest, hottest auctions, finding out that my car seat has become extremely uncomfortable for any distance driving, and get greeted with the following as soon as I put my things down and sit in my chair.

"I think we should call a meeting to set up ten clubs with two people each to discuss what we should do with the inheritance."

OK, there is just me and Daddy in the room, with Paul outside helping me empty the car of the things weighing over 10 lbs. that I'm not allowed to lift until October, namely my chair and the pieces of the scooter I hauled over to the auction. I don't even bother to ask him which twenty people he has in mind. But I was game to talk with him, if I could figure out where in his fantasy he was so I could participate.

"What inheritance, Daddy?"

"I don't know."

"Well, is somebody giving us money?"

"I don't know." He's already getting testy.

"Daddy, I just got here, late in the conversation. If I don't know what we're talking about, how can I contribute?"

He wasn't ready to hear anything approaching reason. I was already regretting my wish to keep him company. One last try. "Well, if there's no inheritance, what's the point of calling a meeting?"

"Can I talk?"

"OK."

"Stop interrupting me. I think you've had enough to say on the subject!"

Stop interrupting? Hmmm. "I just said 'OK', Daddy."

Apparently he can't take a "yes", because he continued, on and on, so testy that I simply left the room for little peace and quiet in the den. Here, doing this.

At that point he alternated between trying to keep track of how many dogs and cats were in the room at any given time, and wondering how he could hold a meeting if we weren't going to cooperate with him and attend his meeting. Paul was back in, and got his own earful. On several occasions Daddy voiced his disgust with the rest of us - whoever he thought we were or should be - for not giving him enough people to attend the meeting, announcing he couldn't hold a vote, take a motion, or even keep the meeting going.

About five minutes ago he formally canceled the meeting. Maybe it's time to go back and sit in a comfy chair again.

No comments: