Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Back in the Harness

Yes, I've been back at work, and doing pretty much everything I was doing before, regardless of the weight restrictions my surgeon tried to impose. It's a funny thing about calling in runs and getting the piece count and weight accurate: the customer - who is always right - seldom gets it right. They'll tell you three pieces, 10 pounds, and it's all in one box weighing 27 pounds. Or whatever. If I refused to pick up anything over 10 pounds when I actually arrived at a pick, I'd have no work.

But I feel fine. The scar is finally healed over, the adhesive allergy has finally given up on plaguing me after weeks of having scrubbed it all off, and I have some energy. Well, just about enough to get me through a work day.

It's amazing how uncomfortable my car seat has become. Two weeks off and you'd think I'd never sat in it before, much less for 11-12 hours at a time and for years in the same style seat. The body is slowly adjusting again, though any drive of a couple hours makes the hip and thigh ache. That never used to happen.

The knees felt completely fine for most of two weeks, but with resumed activity and cessation of the really good meds, they're back with a vengeance. By the time I get home at night, I can barely move, and just sitting in my recliner doesn't make them comfortable. It doesn't help that the end of summer has left us a bit short-handed, so I'm being asked to work later into the evenings. I hate to turn it down, after missing two weeks of income. Plus there's the little thing of a hospital bill. I haven't seen it yet, but I have seen the letter from the insurance company where they're denying payment. So whatever it would have been, add the ten grand that I thought they were going to pay.

With all that, the energy I start each day with barely lasts till I get home. There's nothing left to even watch much TV with, so I'm backed up on even the light schedule the DVR has been recording of end-of-summer programs. There's been none at all for blogging. I figure the only way to grab some time is to do it first thing in the morning. Right now, instead of getting Daddy up as usual by this time, I haven't even started the coffee.

So, bye.

No comments: