Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Waiting

Those who know about my job know that I tend to stop in at the Holiday or SA to use restrooms during my day when there aren't ones available at the sites I deliver to. Unlike when I'm traveling around with kids, I don't stop "just because, it's your last chance for a while, better try now even if you don't think you need to." When I stop, I do need to. Probably have for a while, but needed to get a package somewhere first.

The other day I headed into a Holiday only to find the Women's was occupied. OK, not usually a major problem. I waited. And I waited. My knees were definitely starting to notice me. Two men came and used the men's room in their turn and left. Still I waited. There were no flushing sounds, no running water or pumping out towels sounds. What on earth could she be doing? Might she be sick? Even when an employee is in there cleaning, it doesn't usually take quite this long.

Now, I was lucky. I wasn't quite desperate enough to go ahead and use the men's room. I mean, they do have locks, after all, and are single-occupancy, just like the one I was still waiting for. But they are so-o-o-o-o-o disgustingly filthy. I don't even want my shoes to touch the floor in there. And I have been that desperate. I might be again soon, but not quite yet. What was taking her?

I decided I was really going to be pissed (any pun intended) if she was just in there putting on her makeup. Just as I was wondering if I needed to pound on the door and remind her others needed the facilities, it opened, and out walked the cutest sweet young thing. Judging by the lack of noises, she very well could have been putting on her make-up in there. But damn! She was in so long she might very well have started out ugly!

No comments: