Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hijab: A New Use

We've all seen them by now, even if only in photos. It's the headscarf worn by Muslim women to show their modesty in accordance to their religious beliefs. We've heard all sorts of things in the news about whether they should be worn in schools or for driver's license photos. I've even held a discussion with one woman about whether the beautiful colors in the scarves worn by many women properly preserves that modesty. She, wearing grey, thought not. But I don't recall anything about how useful they can be.

Yesterday I saw evidence of that. Stopped at a light, I watched an oncoming turning driver slowly pass. Neatly tucked into her hijab was her Blackberry, right over her ear. Hands-free cell phone talking while driving, Muslim style, was my first thought. That was until I saw that the freed-up hand was now free for smoking, not driving.

No comments: