Saturday, April 30, 2011

New Shoes

Some days shopping comes close to being a pure pleasure. Of course, it can take a bit to get to that place. Take Thursday.

I decided it was time for new shoes. After all, by this time both my regular shoes were splitting tops off soles around the toes, after a winter's worth of abuse from snow, slush, and salt. (We won't mention dirt and grime and bad smells.) Since I had the time after work, it being a miserable day for having any work, I decided to head up to North Branch to the Tanger outlet mall. They have a Bass outlet there where I've found many a pair of good shoes over past years.

Things have changed a bit. First, it's barely a shoe store anymore. Oh, there's a central shoe section in both the men's and women's sides, but about 4/5 of the store is for other clothing these days. On the good side, it doesn't take too long to decide there's nothing they have on this day to offer me, including customer service. The closest they come to what I need is a shoe with all kinds of cut-outs through the uppers, making the style a sandal mimicking an athletic shoe. Definitely not a work shoe. The few I can find come only in medium width, and at this point in my life are just not wide enough, even though I'm starting my search in the men's section.

On my way out of the store, I stop at the front counter and inquire whether they still sell wide shoes? I get back the incomprehensible answer that's it's the wrong season.

What? Did feet start to grow and shrink according to season now and somebody forgot to tell me? Why do they always forget to tell me? Why?

I've already been standing and walking on my knees too long, and put this store down on my list of only-come-back-dragged-kicking-and-screaming shopping places.

But, hey, I passed a Nike store on my way to this one, and decide to pop in there. I used to buy Nikes exclusively, until they did a major style and price change years ago. Let's try them now.

There's an immediate difference. I'm greeted instantly, asked if they can help, and directed, no, actually guided, to the person who knows my desired area. And this store is still devoted over half to shoes. Already it looks promising. Further, once I explain my parameters, I am immediately set down and brought a box of shoes that are so exactly what I'm looking for and on sale besides, that after trying them on I order two pair. I find they actually have two pair in my size in stock. None of this let's-see-what-our-other-branches-have, can-you pop-over-to-the-Albertville-branch? They're taken right up to the cashier for me.

I'll be back.

No comments: