Thursday, March 21, 2024

Incompetence Of Biblical Proportions

 I sent some stuff to an AZ auction house, selected because they were close and had staff experienced in dealing with collections, like Native American pottery and Asian (Chinese) art. Much of it sold, more to come, partial payments dished out. They sent me - or rather my credit union in an ACH payment - the payment from the first partial sale. Yes, there was a problem. I am so used to working with an out-of-state "sister" credit union when I make deposits of checks, that I automatically added the last three digits delineating the account number as going into checking as that credit union asks each time I go in.

Oops.

Yes, my mistake. No question about that. I told the auction company so.

I got two letters the same day early this week from my credit union letting me know that they were charging me $10 for that mistake. Plus if it happened again, they'd both charge me and refuse the check. They were doing me a favor the first time by taking the trouble to figure out the problem and put the deposit in the right account.

Two letters? Never mind, that's not the issue. I'd also just heard from the auction company that another payment was forthcoming.

I both called the auction house (voicemail) and sent them an email about the problem.  I gotta fix this ASAP, right?

I got an email back from the auction house claiming they would be emailing me paperwork to fix the account number, OR offering me a choice to have a check mailed to me to deposit myself.

Nothing arrived... until today when I got an email letting me know they'd just actually sent another ACH deposit... to the wrong number again. No acknowledgement it was the wrong number, just a final 4 digits which showed me they had done nothing to change anything. So it will bounce, I'll get charged again, and we could be doing this in an endless circle.

Imagine my joy. Really, just try. Try harder. Not working yet?

Me neither.

I went back to that email they had sent out claiming they were on the ball and going to fix the issue. I wanted both to send another follow-up email  as well as make another phone call, aka leave voicemail again because they do not seem to answer their phones. Yes, I mean during business hours, and that's taking into account the now 2-hour difference in time zones. I was looking for not just that information but looking for whoever sent out that email "response".

I had noted when it first arrived in my e-mailbox that it wasn't really signed, or at least not with a name, but it was so weird that I dismissed it and went on to other things, making a note to myself to look for their paperwork. What it was "signed" with was "John 3:16".

Say what? Yes I know the verse, have some strong feelings and thoughts about the verse, can quote it in King James version at the drop of an eyelash. But just what does that have to do with the workings of a business handling my money? Especially when it's not doing a prompt job of handling my money per my request after bringing the error to their attention.

I did get a reply... of sorts. "signed" again by John 3:16, simply pointing out that the original error was mine, not theirs.  Yeah, I get that. DUH! Never argued that point. If they listened or read previous communications, it's there. But they've had a couple days to react, to help fix it. More money was (supposedly) coming my way and I pointed out that I was aware of that too in my original messages. 

This time they got three communications. One was voicemail on the company's listed number as a follow up from the first communication voicemail, two were emails to two different companies, since the auction company uses either a different company or at least a different name to handle the financial end of things. The voicemail started out, "Don't you guys talk to each other?" Yeah, it had some "tone" to it. I'd have thought they had plenty of time to react and act in two business days, whoever had to contact whom. I don't swear on the phone. I mostly don't in emails either, unless you count a rare "shit" or Damn", neither of which were used in these communications, though I will admit to emphasizing my point by using full caps and extra !!! and ??? in places.

They decided to react, finally. This time with another statement that they WILL do something, making sure I can have the documents I need to either change the numbers or opt out of ACH and wait for mail. The latter was firmly recommended. Apparently they don't wish to deal with what they determined to be "rude" communications.

Oh, and the John 3:16 is "just how they do things at that office."  As it's used, it impresses me as an arrogant way to let everybody else know that despite not performing their job in a timely manner they are certainly superior to any "rude" customers because they are "saved". It also conveniently omits naming a person to be responsible for sending out the email but not following through.

I'm tempted to suggest they "save it" for church, and strive for some superior competency on the job. I'm sure they'd find that rude too, and send me another reminder of where they believe superiority matters. I don't care what you believe, whether you believe, how you worship or don't. When I contract with you for work to be done, I expect the work to be done. When adjustments need to be made and I inform you of them, I don't expect days of inaction when the correction is both easy and time sensitive, I expect action. You want to be superior? Do your job, do it promptly, do it well. If you can't, let me know, and explain. Somebody went home sick, I can understand. First day on the job - oops, I can understand. Reminding me it's my error with no further explanation for nothing happening after I contact you trying to fix it, when I already told you it's my error - THAT's rude. 

If I hire you for spiritual reasons, you'll know it and so will I. 

Hold your breath. Wait for it....

Still holding it? 

How about now?

No comments: