Friday, April 2, 2021

Credit Unions: The Good, The Bad, And The Just Fine, Thanks.

 What a difference a credit union makes. I'm not just talking about those vs. banks, though  that's significant too. Specifically, this time I'm talking about two different credit unions down here plus my old one in Minnesota.

I've had the Minnesota one for ages. Not sure exactly, but it wasn't long after I started working my last job, so after '86. It was offered to the entire company, employees and us independent contractors. Getting that automatic deposit simplified life. In addition, they are always helpful, have great rates, and a geezer-friendly website, keeping banking simple from 1800 miles away.

When I first moved down here, it was suggested that I could walk into one of their "sister" credit unions - details supplied - and manage my money in person, staying connected to the original. Yeah, not so much. They made sure I knew they wanted me as a customer. Period. Otherwise....

Fortunately, the one I mail my deposits north to sends me packets of envelopes with attached deposit slips. I use so few checks these days that the deposit slips always run out months before the checks in each book do. The envelopes are free and already addressed to the credit union. I just write the details in and add a stamp.

Of course, these days DeJoy (highly mis-named) has ensured that mail travels very slowly, even well after voting and the holidays are well past. It turned into an issue for me this week, when my stimulus check arrived in the mail as plastic. The previous ones were direct deposited, just like my social security. My checking account was exactly and only where I wanted those funds. So I called my northern credit union.

I was informed there was exactly one way I could get those funds in my account, by going to a credit union down here - any one, he seemed to think - and having them cash the card out and transfer funds northward. Cool! So, I proceeded to go to that old "sister" down here. 

Was I a customer? No? Can't help you. Bye. They did at least refer me to another different one, not a branch, but completely different one, that was about 5 miles further down the road. With an address written down, locating it was simple.

This time when I walked in, I was greeted warmly, cheerfully helped every step of the way, and walked out with my stimulus payment in my northern checking account, the card then shredded in their machine with my permission, plus a check deposited there as well. That's a check that arrives monthly, and I have decided I prefer a 6 mile drive to a postage stamp and a 5 day wait. It happens to be just a ways past my pharmacy, and not so far from a Wendy's where I can get my favorite salad/s. Not to mention I can get in and out at a light for safe turns. I'm still loyal to the great one in Minnesota, but I've found my helper one.

No comments: