Monday, February 25, 2019

NOW I See It...

While in the Doc's waiting room, a different channel of morning "news" was playing on the TV. To be sure, a two-hour program did carry some news: a plane crash, tornadoes and blizzards, review of whichever bite of the Oscars got their attention. Luckily I got called back for my appointment before they started cooking or interviewing the celebrity du jour or other complete wastes of time which the TV volume made it hard to ignore. But still....

The show had two female anchors. Something about the one doing most of the talking during the segment I saw the most of was bothering me. I wasn't sure why at first. Had she just had a face lift that wasn't quite perfect? I studied her a bit. I've seen really bad face lifts - think Joan Rivers since we're talking Oscars - and this wasn't what I'd seen in those.

I kept studying her, trying to figure out why her face looked, well, just plain wrong. Her eyes blinked and moved, looking normal yet not quite. Her mouth the same, no hindrance to her doing her job. I kept studying her.

Suddenly I had that "ahah!" moment. I'd never seen it before that I was aware of, but once the idea popped into my head, it was unmistakable: she was Botoxed to the hilt! Only the two parts of her face moved, isolated in a mask of plastic. No wrinkles, but no expression either. She may as well have been animatronic.

Once I figured it out, I gladly went back to my book. What a shame! What a waste of what had once been a beautiful face! It's not even tempting to somehow dig up the money to follow that trend. I'm keeping what's left of my 70-year-old face, then my 71-year-old one, then 72.... It's more honest. And you can just look at me to know what I'm thinking and feeling. I have grown fond of the ability to express empathy, silliness, sorrow, happiness, love, or even anger with this old thing. You can even see just how smug I feel about making that decision!

No comments: