Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Generous To A Fault

That's my guy. Mostly it's lovely. but this time not so much.

I do blame him, you know.While I ca't figure out just how he shared the bug, he did have it first. So it must be him, right? If only I could figure out how. I can eliminate a bunch of ways it was shared. We mostly don't eat the same things. Even when it's the same kind of thing, he buys his and I buy mine. They are stored on different shelves, fridge, freezer, and cupboard. There have been two exceptions lately, but the timing seems to nix those possibilities, not to mention cooking times. Several hours in the crock pot, or a pan of brownies baked in the oven and shared, seem unlikely culprits.

We're both thinking food poisoning. He blamed the meatloaf he made, but I didn't have any. A general bug, however nasty, had little chance of being shared. It happened to be a week when there wasn't a lot of kissing involved. I mean, who feels like kissing in the middle of a vomiting frenzy? And while he did use my Immodium, I hadn't touched it afterward until I was in deep need of it myself. Already too late for it to be the culprit. Moreover, all his symptoms disappeared a couple days before mine started.

So what did we share? Air. No coughing, little sneezing, hardly seems likely. I did drive him to a doctor's appointment, but again, his symptoms were done and mine hadn't started. We do occasionally hit a "two-for" special at a fast food joint when we're out and about, but not this time and why the difference in timing? We  do share counter space, notably in front of the toaster and microwave, but again, timing is problematic. Besides, neither toast or microwave dinners seem likely, and the dishes had just been done before his bout started.

We share the same blood pressure cuff, but, again, unlikely. I did find out however that the illness spiked my BP. Big surprise. We share the TV remote, but again, how does that fit? We also pull the same chain to turn the light on or off between our chairs in the living room. Again: timing?

But this morning I woke early as usual. After hitting the toilet, I take advantage of the gap where I head   back to sleep as the perfect time to take my thyroid pill. You gotta wait at least 20 mniutes, and a little more nap seems ideal. Somehow, though, the second that pill hit my stomach it didn't quite sit right. I couldn't get back to sleep as usual. I still had my morning pills with coffee once I was really up, and things started heading downhill from there. Nothing stayed down. Fever and chills resulted in my adding sweats and heavy blankets to the bed, with no result. No nap, no rest, no liquids... Well, no need for more details.

Steve was a sweetie, waiting on me hand and bucket. I wound up needing an assist from bed to bathroom and back again. The only good news was I was finally able to keep some 7-UP down  by evening. I'd been doing the pinch test to see how dehydrated I was, and I was. Once I turned that corner, I was able to nap. By bedtime - that's past midnight for you folks - I was able to keep Ibuprofin down and chased the chills away. Eventually I managed to take the rest of my evening meds, and my feet quit hurting. I shed the sweats, lay in bed for another several hours, and finally believe I'll manage a nightful of actual sleep.

I'm hoping.

Still, nothing seems appetizing for breakfast yet.

No comments: