Wednesday, February 14, 2018

What's To Admire

We've been watching the Olympics. A lot! There have been some great performances, and a whole lot that I'd have to say are "just" way greater than I could ever have hoped to manage. I'm not likely to even manage crossing the rink on skates without falling down, and have a similar skill level on any other event included. I can root for the best in whatever category from whichever country, though there is an extra something when it's one of "ours" that does especially well.

However, one performance stands out, way out, for me; in fact, so far that I doubt I will admire an athlete more by the end even though we're only a quarter of the way through competition. I'm referring to Chloe Kim, in her final run down the half pipe. She knew before starting that she had won the gold. As the last snowboarder, nothing could have changed that. It could have been what the announcers were touting as a "glory run". You know, where the athlete just takes an easy glide from top to bottom, no risks, no challenges, just a wave to the crowd as she descends. "Hey, congratulate me!"

But that wasn't Chloe. She chose, even at just 17, to put her very best effort into her final run instead. She could have fallen, gotten injured, had any number of negative things happen. Instead, she managed to top her already-gold performance. It didn't matter to the end result. Not unless you count grit, self-respect, honoring the sport, and giving all those who stayed watching, something really worth sticking around in the cold and wind for.

Way to go, Chloe Kim! This is what the Olympics should be all about!

No comments: